Thursday, July 1, 2010

If I Were In Charge of the World


If I were in charge of the world, no adult would ever hit a child.  That's why I'm starting this blog.  My intention is for it to be a place to become conscious, articulate, and deliberate about the ways we attempt to influence our children, and to choose the very best means for doing so.  I am certain that hitting is not among the best ways.

Spanking is a huge part of American parenting culture.  It has a long, entrenched history.  Occasionally, I meet someone who expresses surprise that I have never spanked my kids.  "Really?  Never?," they say.  I love it when that happens, because I know I am in a moment of inviting someone to question something they've always taken for granted as truth.

So if you don't spank your kids, you are welcome here.  If you do spank your kids--and you're either ambivalent about it or absolutely convinced that it's the best way--you are welcome here.  If YOU were spanked--and either believe it was horrible or exactly what made you the amazing adult you are today--same to you.  I have a lot to say on this topic, and I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. YES! We need this blog!! Thank you for starting this Tricia. I am excited to see what unfolds.

    ReplyDelete