Friday, January 21, 2011

The Old Gray Mare


I don't hit my kids.  Sometimes, when I read about people hitting kids, or I see someone whacking his/her kid in public, it seems arbitrary and bizarre to me.  Why hitting?  Why not standing on your head?  Why not jumping up and down?  Or demanding that your kid jump up and down, until he complies?


I have decided that spanking is a vestige of an agrarian time.  A time when life was hard, survival was precarious, all hands were needed to get the work done, and kids were treated like small animals.  

If the mule won't pull the plow, give her a swat.  If your child won't mind, swat him, too.  How will they learn, otherwise?

It does work!  But I don't think it is best, for the kid or for the animal.  If it worked for farm animals, why on Earth do we have tractors now?

No comments:

Post a Comment